22.5.08

Justine Kurland









It's not often I get visitors from out of town, being a little off the beaten path, but fortunately Justine's path is off the beaten path, in her Mama Van, w/ her little boy and all her gear to photograph. She has maintained this vagabond life for longer than I thought possible, w/ a toddler in tow.... I admire the commitment and, because I'm aware of the ups and downs and the stamina required, I admire the way she's woven her art into her life so thoroughly and determinedly. It's an amazing process that results in so many strong and interesting images. Each time she's traveling through she's searching out something different. Last year it was "naked mamas and babies" and this year it's some fellow travelers, but of a different ilk. I'll be excited to see how this new work emerges.

No comments: